Here are five common materials that are great for making some of the most useful and creative DIY home hacks.
Foam pool noodles:
- Cut one in half and fasten it to the wall of your garage to protect your car door when opening
- Put them on the edge of children’s mattresses under a fitted sheet to stop kids from falling out of bed
- Slice a piece down the middle and attach it to the upper portion of a door to make it slam-proof
- Keep a door open when you have to carry objects that require two hands by twisting a rubber band once and fastening one loop to each side of the doorknob so it can’t latch
- Place one over a stripped screw head and unscrew!
- Stretch one across the open mouth of a paint can to wipe your paintbrush on, so you don’t mess up the sides of the can
Used toilet or paper towel rolls:
- Create mini seed planters
- Place them upright in a box to separately store your cables so they don’t get tangled
- Slit them down the middle and use them to store wrapping paper
- Sharpen scissors by cutting through 6-8 layers of aluminum foil
- Ball it up to use as a reusable dryer sheet to prevent static cling
- A crumpled ball is great for scrubbing the rust off chrome car parts
The king of DIY home hack materials… Turn that old pickle or jam jar into a…
- Mini terrarium
- Unique photo frame
- Juice or smoothie glass
- Candle holder
- Replacement glass for a coffee press
- Oil lamp
- Kitchen and bathroom storage unit
Use your imagination to create a variety of “shabby chic” home décor options!